Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Who Knows if the Moon's a Balloon

Who knows if the moon's
a balloon, coming out of a keen city
in the sky--filled with pretty people?
(and if you and i should

get into it, if they
should take me and take you into their balloon,
why then
we'd go up higher with all the pretty people

than houses and steeples and clouds:
go sailing
away and away sailing into a keen
city which nobody's ever visited, where
always
          it's
                     Spring) and everybody's
in love and flowers pick themselves.

--E.E. Cummings

The moon has been so gorgeous and intense these last few days, that when I thought of a poem to share with Anne's classes today, this one popped into my head.  It's so whimsical and the language builds throughout in a very child-like excited fast-talking what-if sort of way; I love it.  It makes a person think, too--what if??  Who's to say our imaginations can't help us make our world what it is?  Or what it could be?  I like that idea a lot. 

I'm sleepy this morning because I stayed up too ding dang late, but I just did not want to go to bed last night.  I ate a delicious dinner at CC and Mr. A's house--fajitas with grilled chicken, peppers, avocado, a little cheese and sour cream--yummy.  Then CC and I went on a little walk around her neighborhood, then back to watch a little telemavision and eat the apple pie I brought.  I made the pie on Sunday night with apples that I "rescued" from a lot that used to have an old house on it (they tore it down a year ago or so).  I've had my eye on these apples for a while and the trees didn't disappoint.  They are old trees with big ol' apples that are yellowish with red stripes.  What kind?  Anyone's guess.  But a nice balance of sweet/tart and quite juicy and crisp.  So thank you, person of yore who planted those lovely trees that live on and give back every year.  That's quite a legacy, don't you think? 

Anyway, I got home late-ish for a school night and just puttered and read and pet kitties and enjoyed myself.  I still sort of have that summer night party mentality going on, since the weather has been so beautiful. So, while in my head I know it's foolish to stay up until 12:30, I still feel that urge to enjoy the free time and that I can always nap in the hammock this afternoon.  Because it's summer, right?  And apples pick themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment