Tuesday, August 30, 2011

It's All I Have To Bring To-day

It's all I have to bring to-day,
   This, and my heart beside,
This, and my heart and all the fields,
    And all the meadows wide.
Be sure you count, should I forget,--
    Someone the sum could tell,--
This, and my heart, and all the bees
       Which in the clover dwell.

--Emily Dickinson

It's the first day of school and I'm brimming with excitement; it's all I have to bring today!  It's such a big day for the all the kids. And for some, their first day of middle school--HUGE!  And maybe scary.  And hopefully exciting.  I know I'm excited after kicking around work for the last 2 week sans students. 

Middle schoolers have the best energy.  They are so funny and honest and most of them are very sweet.  I was out between classes today giving locker opening tutorials and walking kids to class and reassuring them that it was no big whoop that they were going to be late.  All the other staff members were sending the same message, too.  Which is one of the reasons I love working at this school.  People are NICE.  And we really are like a family here, which is why I greeted the kids this morning with, 'Welcome Home!"

After work I get to run errands and then I think I'll ride Ruby Mae for a spell.  Last night CC and I went a'riding and I was wearing a skirt and she said I looked very French.  Merci! Best compliment ever!  I'm wearing a skirt today, too, so I'm hoping to emit the French vibe again, if only to myself. 

Ohhh La La!

2 comments:

  1. It takes patience and grace and wit to choose a career working with middle schoolers. Well done! Wouldn't worry about the French vibe. Your adopted town has lots of Continental flair, de rien.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about pix of Ruby Mae??

    ReplyDelete