Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Out Of The Blue Drench


Southern Sunrise

Color of lemon, mango, peach,
These storybook villas
Still dream behind
Shutters, their balconies
Fine as hand-
Made lace, or a leaf-and-flower pen-sketch.

Tilting with the winds,
On arrowy stems,
Pineapple-barked,
A green crescent of palms
Sends up its forked
Firework of fronds.

A quartz-clear dawn
Inch by bright inch
Gilds all our Avenue,
And out of the blue drench
Of Angels’ Bay
Rises the round red watermelon sun.


 --Sylvia Plath

Over the last few days, I've enjoyed the bright blues all around.  Morning skies, the milky periwinkle mist over the valley floor, the electric blue of the day, and the indigo nights.  The sunrise this morning, while not Southern, was just as described by Sylvia above.  In what may be, one of her most upbeat poems.  Love it.  Love nature.  Love it all. 

The feel of a coming Spring will do that to a person.  Even when I've had crazy days at work (full moon--no, seriously) and moderately bicker-y kids, the loveliness of season trumps all.  The smell of the air, and my sore muscles from working in the yard all day on Sunday tell me I'm waking, emerging from fallow fields, and ready to broadcast new seeds over the world. 

Today, while driving the kids to school, we talked about travel.  It was one of the best conversations we've ever had.  I love traveling and I really love meeting foreign people, in general--much more so than Americans, if we're being honest. I'm a reverse xenophobe.  I realized that I haven't really talked travel with the kids and it was soooo fun to do so.  I would love to take them to Europe, specifically France, England, Scotland, Switzerland and Italy (Sicily with OM and brood).  Not in one trip, and I know that's a big list of wonderful places, all deserving of serious time spent, BUT, we're dreaming here and why not?  My passion for these travel dreams rubbed off on them and they had lots of fun questions and I'm looking forward to talking more about it.  And then doing it someday! 

So I'm off and out--while the watermelon sun is still shining.

No comments:

Post a Comment