Friday, April 29, 2011

Starting With the Little Things

Love the earth like a mole,
fur-near. Nearsighted,
hold close the clods,
their fine-print headlines.
Pat them with soft hands—

But spades, but pink and loving:  they
break rock, nudge giants aside,
affable plow.
Fields are to touch:
each day nuzzle your way.

Tomorrow the world.

--William Stafford


After a day like yesterday, when I needed a drink by 2pm, this Stafford poem helps bring me back to Earth.  And with the weather brightening up this weekend, I certainly plan to get my hands dirty.  We all go through ups and downs living our days and for me, loving the earth like a mole is my default mode.  It's so easy to get caught up in being busy and rushing from one thing to the next and then toss in any drama with that and I can lose sight of what's important. 

Which is quite simple: love, friendship, children and chickens, shy kittens who sit on my lap now, the garden, breathing in the spring air, and lots of dirt under my nails!

As I reflected on my day last night, sitting in my quiet house, I thought of it as a collective whole, rather than individual bits of stress, annoyance, hurt, and disappointment.  And I knew that tomorrow would be better.  And it is.  It always is. 

In another Stafford poem, I don't remember which one, he says, "It was a day you could put in the bank." Well, yesterday was a day I could put in the compost bin, because even though it was a tough one, it helps remind me of what's important, which turns the garbage into gold.

"Tomorrow the world."

Indeed!

1 comment:

  1. And then Sunday comes!
    With it, our friend MK and adult beverages galore! Looking forward!

    ReplyDelete