Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Sweetest Things in Life

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life."
–Robert Louis Stevenson

I could easily write pages about how this quote is so true!  The air was warm-ish this morning, or I should say, warmer-ish. There's a promise of sun later, although it's nothing but grey flannel sky right now.  I'm looking forward to the day for many reasons; yes, the light in my eyes, the duties at my hand, the path of right, but mostly...the bread.  It's Tuesday, the day of the Carnation Farmer's Market, and Alex the bread magician from Preston Bakery (which is his solo operation) will have a loaf of ciabatta waiting for me.  I never tasted such delicious bread before this.  It is an experience.  He bakes it at like 900 degrees or something crazy like that in an outdoor wood-fired oven. <Note to self: someday have an outdoor wood-fired oven and make own bread.> It has a darkish crust that's just on the right side of being slightly charred, and the inside is airy and chewy and with incredible texture and flavor.  I honestly cannot bite into that bread without vocalizing its tastiness.  If anyone besides my kids heard me, it would be an, "I'll have what she's having" sort of moment. 

This bread will be my dinner tonight.  It's my dinner every Tuesday night from May-September.  We are big fans of Farmer's Market Dinner at my house, but instead of a meat-centric main dish, it's always the bread. We usually buy some cheese curds, aka, squeaky cheese, from the cheese people, Golden Glen Creamery, and the kids each get to pick out a veggie from the farmers.  This is fun, since what's available of course changes from week to week.  And a kid will always eat a veggie if he or she picked it out.  The kids are with their dad today, so I'll go by myself and get my bread FIRST--cain't risk the dreaded sold out sign, then I'll perhaps indulge in some fresh butter because why the hell not?!  I'll look at all the veggies and see what appeals.  A little salad would suit.  I think it's still too early for radishes, but can't wait to get my hands on some, slice 'em up and drizzle on a little olive oil with a sprinkle of flaky salt. 

But the first thing I eat is the bread.  I'll tear off a chunk before leaving Alex's stand.  I'll eat some in the car on the way home, past the little blue clouds of forget-me-nots that line 203, past the eagle's nest just north of Fay Rd., all around the roundabout,  and into Duvall; I'm shameless! 


Man cannot live by bread alone?  Pshaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment