Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Stand Up!

"...Stand up for something different,
and have a little fun
fighting for something worth fighting for
before you've done." 

I scored another great free book from our librarian today, The Oxford Book of 20th Century Verse.  This D.H. Lawrence poem was in it and as I was paging through the book, it spoke to me.  I think these lines ring true.  Something worth standing up for gives life purpose.  It's so easy to fall into a rhythmic lull of the daily grind, but for me, I need more. I need something different, to keep it interesting.  That's not to say I'm not satisfied with my life, which many would find bor-ing. I am intensely satisfied.  But it's because I fight for it, fight to make my life the way I want it.  It doesn't always go as planned, of course, but I adjust and push on. 

"Stand up for a new arrangement
for a chance of life all round,
for freedom, and the fun of living
bust in, and hold the ground!"
   
We never know what life will bring us.  Be open to possibilities, to 'new arrangements.' And when you find something good, something you can't explain that shakes your world up, stand up for it!  This poem is a great reminder for me on how I want to live my life.  Every. Single. Day.

What will you stand up for?

1 comment:

  1. Pushing other people to stay informed and take action for what's right. Fortunately, that's a significant component of my job.

    Any life where a book like that becomes available for free indicates many things must be right. Really great entry, ME.

    ReplyDelete